Sourdough Starter and Sunshine
Today was sourdough starter day. Sasha and I started creating it right after breakfast. We carefully added 1/2 cup of luke warm water to our starter (available via King Author Flour). We then had to close the lid and 'shake, shake, shake .. shake, shake, shake .. shake your starter, shake your starter." Sasha especially enjoyed Mama singing the 'shake your starter' song. Ah, he would've loved the 70's! Once completed, we were ready to feed the starter with some flour and more luke warm water. It takes 8-12 hours to rejuvenate the starter (I think I must be related to sourdough starter somehow :), but Sasha wanted to 'check' on the starter under it's towel every two minutes (it's exciting business feeding a new starter and watching it grow!).
After dinner, we cut the starter in half, added some more water and flour so it could sit for another two hours before being cut in half again to live in our refrigerator until our weekend sourdough waffle extravaganza.
In a time when convenience is so important, sometimes I forget about the magic of cooking. Sasha's face as we fed the starter, which was basically a couple of tablespoons of goo, was priceless. By his expression, I could tell that he thought the starter would BOLT into action, perhaps instantly becoming larger than the bowl, perhaps larger than the kitchen, maybe even outgrowing our house! (yes, he's read about that goldfish and we did feed that starter alot of flour.) He wanted to lick the spoon which I assured him was not going to be good but he loved it and insisted that "it tastes good Mommy". He then took in a deep breath of the yeasty smell and proclaimed that 'it smells SO good". He is now anxiously awaiting waffle making day and he has decided that we need to make sourdough waffles for Aunt Karen, Uncle Vic, Cousin Alex and Great Grandmother Kathyrn when they visit for Mia's baptism. I think he has all the makings of great chef. He, afterall, was the one that wanted to make paella for Uncle Brent and Aunt Deanne. Unfortunately, culinary school may have to wait as Sasha proclaimed tonight during our viewing of Enchanted that he is going to be a Prince when he grows up. I told him he didn't need to wait, he was already a prince :).
After dinner, we cut the starter in half, added some more water and flour so it could sit for another two hours before being cut in half again to live in our refrigerator until our weekend sourdough waffle extravaganza.
In a time when convenience is so important, sometimes I forget about the magic of cooking. Sasha's face as we fed the starter, which was basically a couple of tablespoons of goo, was priceless. By his expression, I could tell that he thought the starter would BOLT into action, perhaps instantly becoming larger than the bowl, perhaps larger than the kitchen, maybe even outgrowing our house! (yes, he's read about that goldfish and we did feed that starter alot of flour.) He wanted to lick the spoon which I assured him was not going to be good but he loved it and insisted that "it tastes good Mommy". He then took in a deep breath of the yeasty smell and proclaimed that 'it smells SO good". He is now anxiously awaiting waffle making day and he has decided that we need to make sourdough waffles for Aunt Karen, Uncle Vic, Cousin Alex and Great Grandmother Kathyrn when they visit for Mia's baptism. I think he has all the makings of great chef. He, afterall, was the one that wanted to make paella for Uncle Brent and Aunt Deanne. Unfortunately, culinary school may have to wait as Sasha proclaimed tonight during our viewing of Enchanted that he is going to be a Prince when he grows up. I told him he didn't need to wait, he was already a prince :).
4 Comments:
This sounds so good. What fun for Sasha.
How creative you are! How was the paella?
Ahhhhh....to be 3 again!! Everything was so much simpler. Sounds like a great day. It is wonderful to cherish even the smallest things.
That is soooo sweet! Jack wants to help make anything and everything that comes out of the kitchen. Even if I am just making some Crytal Light tea. lol I hope he feels this way when he is old enough to run a stove. Did I mention that I hate to cook(clean too, but that is another subject)? Go Sasha!
Post a Comment
<< Home